Monday, June 20, 2011

Cabernet Marinated Venison Steak Sandwich

It’s been way too long since I’ve posted a recipe from the kitchen of L’hôtel Gordon (my attempt to try and make our kitchen sound fancy). I’ve seriously neglected this part of the blog, so be looking for me of these recipes to come soon. Follow this link to the relatively small, but soon-to-be-growing recipe page, or just click on recipes link on the right.

Anyway, Erin was out of town for the weekend, I was still hungover from the company picnic, and, besides a few leftovers, we had no food in the fridge. Even though the grocery store is less than 5 blocks away, I didn’t feel like running to get any groceries either. I could have resorted to Chinese delivery from Green Tea, but I decided I love cats too much to make them my lunch.

I dug through the freezer and found a few pounds of vacuum-packed tenderized deer steaks from last season. The tenderized steaks are usually just small steaks that have been pounded thin, and are usually battered and pan-fried or used to make what I call gut rockets- cream cheese and jalapeno stuffed steaks, wrapped in bacon, and grilled. I didn’t feel like frying and we were out of cream cheese and bacon, so that idea was quickly shot down. Besides, Anthony Bourdain was in town. I vacated the recipes found in mobile homes (hey I lived in one for 3 years), and whooped up something I assumed would be worthy of a No Reservations appearance. With ingredients scattered throughout the near-barren fridge, a decently stocked pantry, and leftover duck and andouille jambalaya, I was able to throw together a ridiculous sandwich plate that can serve equally well on a brunch, lunch, or dinner menu.

CABERNET MARINATED VENISON STEAK SANDWICH WITH GRILLED ONIONS, GORGONZOLA AND FIG MUSTARD

2, 6oz tenderized venison steaks
Cabernet marinade, recipe follows
Creole seasoning
½ red onion, sliced
fig mustard, recipe follows
2 oz Gorgonzola cheese, divided
4 slices bread, toasted
(Yield: 2 Sandwiches)

1. Place steaks in marinade, and refrigerate for 3-4 hours (can be marinated overnight).
2. Remove from marinade and liberally dust steaks and onions with Creole seasoning.
3. Grill steaks over medium-high heat until cooked to medium to medium-well doneness (2-3 minutes per side).
4. Grill onions until soft (2-3 minutes per side).
4. Allow steaks to rest 3 minutes.
5. Assemble sandwiches on toasted bread: 6 oz. steak, grilled red onions, 1 oz Gorgonzola, and 2 Tablespoons fig mustard per sandwich.

Marinade
½ cup Cabernet Sauvignon (drink the rest of the bottle, or BOX, while grilling)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon cracked black pepper
1 Tablespoon crushed red pepper
¼ cup olive oil
1 sprig thyme (stems removed)
2 sprigs rosemary
5 dashes Crystal hot sauce
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard

1. Combine all ingredients in a gallon storage bag and refrigerate.

Fig Mustard
1 ½ Tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 ½ Tablespoons fig preserves*
½ Tablespoon Steen’s Cane Syrup
½ Tablespoon Creole mustard

1. Combine all ingredients and refrigerate.

*Note: I used my grandma’s homemade fig preserves from Attala County, MS

No comments:

Post a Comment